The Ab Fab Life

an ab fab life is one where you survive most days defying your accident prone-ness and leave your bones unbroken, where you eat ice cream and where oprah doesn't talk about something really dumb, but gives away free stuff instead this is my ab fab-ness ;)

Monday, September 11, 2006

one mans terrorist ...




these are the designs for the new nyc twin towers. they're pretty and all that jazz, but the pessimist in me thinks they'll just become a landmark target for terrorist attacks... blow 'em up - replace 'em - blow 'em up etc etc like a sick bomb & architecture cycle




it's the anniversary of 9/11 and as much as i don't want to jump on the weepy commemorative bandwagon, i do have some things to say. been teaching my little ones about terrorism in our classes - they all have some pretty extreme views on it. i think the one thing about teaching first years is that (most of) their ideas and perceptions are so simple and untainted by the gazillions of readings and theory that they have yet to do. i get what they say about the fact that we need to, if not accept terrorist activity, accept the fact that fighting oppression is something that we cannot place a nationality on. during apartheid, the anc ( & especially the pac) were perceived terrorists... what's to say, that with the added benefit of hindsight, that governments that the media portrays as 'terrorists' arent simply the nelson mandelas of 2006? simplistic, i know, but i can understand and appreciate the idealism of it.

i watched the exorcism of emily rose last night at vanny's house ... i have NEVER been more frightened than i was last night. i am one of those people who have nightmares after watching shark documentaries on the National Geographic Channel and i thought i should try raise my scaredy cat-ness bar a little higher. i don't think it worked. i am still freaked out and it's about ten AM and its all bright and sunny outside. brrrrr.

On another note - i am losing my mind. i wore two completely different shoes to work on saturday. it was so embarrassing. i have absolutely no idea how it happened, i just think i am working in a different time zone to my brain and i really hope mind & body collide again soon because its getting a little difficult! ;)

i'm going to go do some work now... i have a meeting at 16h00 with my honours supervisor who is scary and potentially schizo ... wish me luck... if you haven't heard from me in a couple of days, assume the worst... my will is in my room and maire, you know you have to throw away my high school diaries before anybody in my family reads their embarrassing contents.


to my horror, i realised i have never put up a photo of dearest shakti ... this is one from our obviously very productive days @ work ... shaks , tom, & me ....

11 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

Hello there!

I am back! I've always wanted to see that movie. Bummer. Oh well.

I'll probably see you later today!

Cheerio!

1:02 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I think they're pretty, but they look a bit fragile. If I was rebuilding the towers I'd make them out of titanium or something. Or disguise them as a macDonalds.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they have all manner of structural thingimajigs and stuff to prevent the towers from collapsing like they did before in the event of a terrorist attack.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was an AA missile on the roof as well!

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^ Right on.. the buildings are indeed being built in such a way that they can withstand major incursions against them.

And it's possible to do this... if you have a look at the Pentagon, the aircraft that crashed into there had a tiny effect on the entire building because of the sound way in which it was built.. (built at the beginning of Soviet-US tensions to withstand missiles you see)

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Sarah your blog seems to produce very intelligent comment conversations. and all I wanted to say was that I am sorry that you got scared watching a movie at my house...now i feel dumb!

1:54 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

yes... i didn't mean i thought the towers would continually fall down. the one thing about terrorism is that it's not simply the act, its also the premeditation and the attempt. so no matter how many precautions people put on these buildings, extremists will continue trying to bring it down. and whether it collapses or not, bombs will still kill people. And the fear is what it is all about.

12:38 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

PS hello tolstoy!
how goes things?
who are you?

;)

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ness is right. you have about a gazillion comments. I'm jealous! :(

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's me John, I just like the mystery of pseudonyms!

9/11 highlighted the battle against the new ideology: Islamofascism. You can't bomb an idea, and flying planes into American buildings simply galvanises the American wrath against you.

It's the way of the world really, except the new ideology is not as well-defined and geographical as the Soviets.

An exciting time to live in, no?

2:25 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

JOHN!! it's you!
sorry to have broken your pseudonym!forgive me! and feel free to use as many as you want.

as long as you stop using such big words on my blog! ;) i mean ... what are you talking about?

x

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mostly I just put the big words in so people will glaze over what I read and think 'wow that's really smart' and continue with their lives.

I'm really a retard in literate clothing :D

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home